People and Businesses to Notify Once You Change Your Mailing Address

Whether it’s your first time moving, or you haven’t moved in a while, you might not be in the know about how many people or businesses you’ll need to contact and give your new address to when you move. But don’t fret, as we’ve listed who to contact below to assist you with your change-of-address process.

  • Post office (set up forwarding address with your new address or P.O. box; NOTE: There could be a small fee for this)
  • The local DMV (Department/ Registry Motor Vehicles) for vehicle registration purposes
  • Local Voter Registration
  • Employer (so they know exactly where to send your future paychecks [if you don’t do direct deposit] and tax forms)
  • Your bank or credit union
  • Your accountant
  • Your lawyer/attorney
  • Loan issuers/student loan companies/Financial Aid issuers
  • Investors
  • Pension plans
  • All your insurance companies (life insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, auto insurance, homeowner or renter’s insurance, and other insurance [motorcycle, boat, etc.])
  • Your utility companies (gas, water, electric or solar power)
  • Your Internet service provider
  • Your cable or satellite provider
  • Your cell phone carrier
  • Your home services (garbage service, lawn or gardening service, pool services and any other home keeping or cleaning services)
  • Your (or your children’s) doctors and dentists
  • Veterinarian (if you have pets)
  • Babysitter or dog sitter (or other pet sitters)
  • Any magazines you’re subscribed to
  • Subscription boxes (or meal services)
  • Retail club or loyalty programs (think of your local grocery stores, big box stores or bulk product stores you have cards with)
  • Your church
  • Your children’s school & the school’s Parent-Teacher Association
  • Girl/Boy Scouts or other youth organizations
  • IRS (Internal Revenue Services; this is only if you have ongoing correspondence with them; they can find you otherwise)
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs (if you’re a veteran)
  • INS office (Green Card, visas, work permits) if you’re an immigrant or temporary visitor
  • Your streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Rhapsody, etc.)
  • Online shopping services (like Amazon)
  • Online GPS/mapping services (such as Google Maps)

This is list is not necessarily comprehensive, so if a person or another business or association wasn’t mentioned above, it doesn’t mean you don’t still need to contact them. (e.g. your therapist, an Alcohol Anonymous sponsor, professional memberships and/or licensing boards, etc.). Make sure all your bases are covered.

Many of these change-of-address notifications are free, but there could still be a fee associated with certain federal or local government-related changes (likely with your driver’s license and potentially with the U.S. Postal Service). Do your research to see what, if anything, you need to pay for those.